Choosing the best food for your puppy is one of the most important decisions you can make.
That’s because feeding the wrong food can greatly increase your puppy’s RISK of developing a crippling form of hip dysplasia… especially for certain breeds.1
On this page… we’ll share The Dog Food Advisor’s safest and most recommended puppy foods… and we’ll answer the 5 most frequently asked questions we get about feeding puppies.
The Best Puppy Foods
Here are The Advisor’s top 10 best puppy foods for April 2020.
- 34 lb. Bag - Purina Pro Plan FOCUS Lamb & Rice Formula Dry Puppy Food
- Made with high-quality protein, including real lamb as the #1 ingredient
- DHA from fish oil helps to nourish brain and vision development
- Antioxidants help support a puppy's developing immune system.Metabolizable Energy (ME):4091 kcal/kg
- 16.5 lb. Bag Purina ONE SmartBlend Natural Healthy Puppy Formula Dry Dog Food
- Real chicken is the #1 ingredient
- Easily digestible rice and oatmeal round out the nutritious recipe
- DHA, a nutrient found in mother's milk, supports vision and brain development
- Dual defense antioxidant blend promotes a strong immune system
- Contains one (1) 15 lb. bag of NUTRO WHOLESOME ESSENTIALS Natural Puppy Dry Dog Food Farm-Raised Chicken, Brown Rice & Sweet Potato Recipe; Natural Dog Food Plus Vitamins, Minerals and Other Nutrients
- Farm-Raised Chicken Is The #1 Ingredient To Deliver Great Taste And Help Support Strong Muscles
- This Nutro Puppy Food Is Formulated With Omega-3 Fatty Acids Like Dha To Promote Healthy Growth And Development
- Made With Calcium To Build Strong Bones And Joints
- Made With Non-Gmo Ingredients* *Trace Amounts Of Genetically Modified Material May Be Present Due To Potential Cross Contact During Manufacturing.
- PACKED WITH REAL CHICKEN: A recipe made to satisfy your puppy’s natural love for meat, this high protein puppy dog food features real chicken to help encourage strong muscle growth.
- GRAIN FREE PUPPY FOOD: BLUE Wilderness grain free puppy food is made with the ingredients to help promote healthy development including DHA and ARA, important fatty acids found in mother's milk, to help support cognitive development and retinal health.
- WITH LIFESOURCE BITS: This formula contains BLUE’s exclusive LifeSource Bits – a precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists to support immune system health, life stage requirements, and a healthy oxidative balance.
- NATURAL DOG FOOD: BLUE dry dog food is formulated for the health and well-being of your puppy and features the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals. It never contains chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives.
- Contains one (1) 4.5-lb bag of BLUE Wilderness High Protein Grain Free, Natural Puppy Dry Dog Food, Chicken
- This dry puppy food is formulated to support a healthy immune system and overall growth for puppies
- This puppy food provides DHA from fish oil for healthy brain & eye development
- Supports lean muscle growth with quality protein
- Uses a balanced set of minerals to promote strong bones and strong teeth in young dogs
- Made with natural ingredients
- This dry puppy food supports the developmental needs of puppies in a small kibble and delicious chicken flavor
- This dry food for small breed puppies provides DHA from fish oil for healthy brain and eye development
- Provides your growing little dog with high quality protein for building lean muscle
- Uses a balanced set of minerals to promote strong bones and strong teeth
- Made with natural ingredients
- GREAT TASTING: Our dog food contains high-quality protein with real chicken as #1 ingredient and real turkey as the #2 ingredient
- MADE WITH REAL INGREDIENTS: Each 28 pound bag of our Puppy food is made with real chicken, turkey, duck, salmon, cracked pearled barley, whole grain brown rice, veggies, fruit and herbs.
- NATURAL DOG FOOD: Our formula never contains by-product meals, artifical flavors or preservatives and is wheat free, corn free and soy free
- SUPPORTS HEALTHY SKIN & COAT: Made with Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids to promote healthy skin and a shiny coat
- MAINTAINS IMMUNE HEALTH: Our natural dog food contains prebiotic fiber from dried chicory root for healthy digestion
- Contains one (1) 15 pound bag of Iams proactive health smart puppy dry dog food chicken
- Veterinarians recommend IAMS, so you can feed like a pro
- Real, farm raised chicken is the 1st ingredient
- Includes 22 key nutrients that are found in a mother’s milk
- Promotes healthy cognition with omega 3 DHA for smarter, more trainable puppies
- A large breed puppy food specially made with an optimal level of calcium for controlled bone growth
- Uses a balanced set of minerals to promote strong bones and teeth in large puppies. Caloric content: 3970 kcal/kg (394 kcal/cup)
- Uses DHA from fish oil to support healthy brain and eye development for growing dogs
- High-quality protein helps your large pup build and maintain lean muscle
- Made in the USA with global ingredients you can trust
- High Quality Protein Made With Real Pasture Raised Lamb; For A Growing Large Breed Puppy With Optimal Amino Acid Profile For Lean, Strong Muscles
- Premium Ingredients With Added Vitamins & Minerals; Superfoods For Antioxidants; Fatty Acids For Skin & Coat; Guaranteed Levels Of Glucosamine & Chondroitin
- A smaller kibble, nutrient rich & HIGHLY DIGESTIBLE with PROPRIETARY PROBIOTICS at guaranteed levels; DHA for BRAIN & VISION. For pregnant or nursing adult dogs, we recommend free-choice feeding. Remember to keep plenty of fresh water available to your pet at all times
- FAMILY OWNED & run, MADE in the USA choosing ingredients from TRUSTED, SUSTAINABLE sources around the world; Call with questions 800 442 0402
- NO corn, wheat, filler; NO ARTIFICIAL flavors, colors, or preservatives added; Made with scientifically advanced food safety protocols
A Final Word
The rightgeeky is privately owned and is not affiliated (in any way) with pet food manufacturers. We do not accept money, gifts, samples or other incentives in exchange for special consideration in preparing our reviews.
However, we do receive a referral fee from online retailers (like Chewy or Amazon) when readers click over to their website from ours. This policy helps support the operation of our blog and keeps access to all our content free to the public.
For more information, please visit our Disclaimer and Disclosure page.
Important FDA Alert
The FDA is investigating a potential link between diet and heart disease in dogs.
- Richardson DC, The Role of Nutrition in Canine Hip Dysplasia, Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract, 1992 May;22(3):529-40. ↩
- Bartolome N et al, A Genetic Predictive Model for Canine Hip Dysplasia: Integration of Genome Wide Association Study (GWAS) and Candidate Gene Approaches, Journal of the Public Library of Science, PLOS One, April 2015, p.2 ↩
- Association of American Feed Control Officials ↩
- Lauten SD, Nutritional Risks to Large Breed Dogs: From Weaning to the Geriatric Years, Vet Clin Small Anim 36 (2006) 1345. ↩
- IAMS, “How to Transition Your Puppy to Adult Food” ↩
- Purina, “When to Switch from Puppy Food to Adult Dog Food” ↩
- Royal Canin, 56-pound definition for large breed adult dogs ↩
- Yuill C, DVM, MSc, CVH, “Nutrition: General Feeding Guidelines for Dogs“, VCA Hospitals (November 2011) ↩
- Waltham Centre for Pet Nutrition (1999), Canine Life Stages and Lifestyles, The Waltham Course on Dog and Cat Nutrition, p. 4 ↩
- IAMS: Is Your Puppy Ready for Adult Dog Food? ↩