While setting up a grow tent is relatively easy, it can often get a little tricky for you if you are not entirely sure of what you are doing. So, if you are looking for the instructions on how to set up a grow tent perfectly, we have described the whole process in 6 easy steps that will help you put up your indoor garden in no time!
Before starting, make sure you are also equipped with some of the other accessories that you will need to ensure adequate growth of your plants, including:
- LED lighting system
- Fanning system
- Humidifier or dehumidifier
- Carbon filter
- Tools for setup, including a screwdriver, wire cutter, duct tape, ducting clamp, etc.
It is not mandatory to have all these parts for your grow tent as it will depend on the type of plant you are growing or the climate in your location. But these are some of the ideal parts that you will find in a grow tent.
So, keep reading below and let us start setting up that grow tent for you!
How to Set Up a Grow Tent
STEP 1: Assembling your grow tent
- Find the perfect location that will fit your grow tent. These tents usually come in square or rectangular shapes, so you will require a spot to accommodate these shapes.
- Next, you have to construct the frame. Your package for the grow tent will include different sized poles or aluminum bars to set up the base as well as the height of the frame. Carefully join up the different poles to create the backbone for your hydroponic grow tent.
- Afterwards, you will be putting on the fabric over the frame. Ideally, the fabric is manufactured using nylon or canvas material. Place and secure the fabric over the frame, covering all corners, and also ensure that the zippers are working smoothly without any defects on the seams.
- Your first step in setting up a grow tent is complete! Now let’s set up all the other necessary features.
STEP 2: Installing your LED light
- Grow tent light is one of the most essential parts of your tent. Firstly, to set up the holders for the light, you will have to connect both of the rope ratchets to the top bar of your tent’s frame. The ratchets come with the light and are super easy to connect.
- Place your best LED grow lights on the ground and clip the ratchets on the mounting hardware or the fixture at the back of your LED light. Please be gentle with the light to avoid damage.
- Pull the light up using the pulley on your ratchet to position it in the preferred height for your plants. You might want to read the instruction manual for the LED light to determine which height will be the best for your plant type.
- Finally, pass the wire of the light through the nearest power cord on your grow tent and attach it to a power supply. Yes, you just completed setting up your lighting system! Easy, huh?
STEP 3: Setting up a ventilation system
- Carbon filters, along with a well-functioning fanning mechanism, are necessary to keep your grow tent from building up unwanted heat and odors.
- Firstly, hang your best carbon filter using the nylon straps attached to your grow tent. Make sure it is stable in place.
- Assemble your fanning system. Take the duct and cut it into two separate pieces. Let’s call these pieces duct A and duct B.
- Duct A will be connected from the carbon filter to the intake fan, so make sure that you accurately measure the length between them to have a duct that is not too long or too short.
- Attach one side of duct A to the intake side of the fan. Secure duct A into position using a ducting clamp. Connect the other side of duct A to the carbon filter and secure it into place as well.
- Take duct B and attach it to the exhaust side of the fan and position it into place. Then pass the other side of duct B through the closest ventilation opening on your grow tent. Pass the duct out through a window or a hole on the wall.
- Pass the cord of the wires through a power cord hole, and your ventilation setup is done!
STEP 4: Installing a timer
- You might want to install a timer for your grow tent to moderate the lighting throughout the day. To do so, plug your LED grow light to a timer. Pass the wires for the timer through a power cord hole and connect it to a power supply.
- Fix your timings for lighting by tweaking with the timer. And your timer is set!
STEP 5: Placing a thermo-hygrometer
- A thermo-hygrometer can keep a check on the temperature and humidity within your grow tent. All you have to do is pick out a thermo-hygrometer and place it in a suitable position within your grow tent.
- The screen on the device will provide you with updated humidity and temperature.
STEP 6: Setting up a humidifier/dehumidifier
- Maintaining a healthy level of humidity within your grow tent is very beneficial for your plants. Grow tent humidifiers come in different sizes, so choose one that is the most appropriate for you.
- Fill up the water tank of the humidifier and place it within your tent. Pass the wire through a power cord hole.
- Switch on the humidifier, and you are good to go!
- If you are growing plants that require less moisture, you can also set up a grow tent dehumidifier in the same manner.
Now that you are a pro in setting up a perfectly functioning grow tent, we believe you will have a much smoother experience next time you wonder how to set up a grow tent.
So, wait no further and start putting up that grow tent to begin your journey with your very own indoor garden!