What’s the Best
Dry Food for Puppies?
But how could a one-size-fits-all dry dog food be “best” for every puppy?
There are 2 different TYPES of dry puppy food.
One designed for large breed puppies.
And another for smaller breeds.
Choosing the wrong food (one that contains too much calcium) could cause permanent bone damage to your pup.
Including a crippling form of hip dysplasia.
Especially for larger breeds.
Which is why we urge you to choose a food that’s designed to be safe for YOUR dog’s breed size.
What’s Your Puppy’s
Large breed puppies are those whose adult weight is expected to be more than 50 pounds.
Because larger breeds are at greater risk for hip dysplasia…
And since small and medium breeds can safely eat a wider selection of dry dog food…
The Dog Food Advisor has created a special list of foods that are best for EACH breed size.
On the list below, we’ve included both grain-inclusive and grain-free recipes to satisfy your personal feeding preferences.
Top 10 Best Dry Puppy Foods
Here are The Advisor’s top 10 best dry puppy foods for April 2020
- One (1) 34 lb. Bag - Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Dry Puppy Food, Chicken & Rice Formula
- Formulated to support an appropriate growth rate for large breed puppies
- Glucosamine supports developing joints and cartilage
- High protein formula, with real chicken as the first ingredient
- Fortified with guaranteed live probiotics for digestive and immune health
- 16.5 lb. Bag Purina ONE SmartBlend Natural Healthy Puppy Formula Dry Dog Food
- Real chicken is the #1 ingredient
- Easily digestible rice and oatmeal round out the nutritious recipe
- DHA, a nutrient found in mother's milk, supports vision and brain development
- Dual defense antioxidant blend promotes a strong immune system
- This dry puppy food supports the developmental needs of puppies in a small kibble and delicious chicken flavor
- This dry food for small breed puppies provides DHA from fish oil for healthy brain and eye development
- Provides your growing little dog with high quality protein for building lean muscle
- Uses a balanced set of minerals to promote strong bones and strong teeth
- Made with natural ingredients
- Contains one (1) 30.6 pound Bag of IAMS Proactive Health Smart Puppy Large Breed Dry Dog Food Chicken
- Veterinarians recommend IAMS, so you can feed like a pro
- Real, farm raised chicken is the 1st ingredient
- Includes 22 key nutrients that are found in a mother’s milk
- Promotes healthy cognition with omega 3 DHA for smarter, more trainable puppies
- 15 Lb
- Small/Medium Breed
- Contains Higher Levels Of Protein And Fat Needed By Small & Medium Breed Puppies
- Formed In To Smaller, Bite Size Shapes
- Makes It Easier For Small Dogs To Eat
- REAL MEAT FIRST: Blue Buffalo foods always feature real meat as the first ingredient. High-quality protein from real chicken helps your dog build and maintain healthy muscles. Plus they contain wholesome whole grains, garden veggies and fruit.
- FOR PUPPY DOGS: Specially formulated for puppies, BLUE Life Protection Formula Puppy Food contains DHA and ARA (important fatty acids found in mother’s milk) to support cognitive function and retinal health.
- WITH LIFESOURCE BITS: This formula contains BLUE’s exclusive LifeSource Bits – a precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists, to support immune system health, life stage requirements, and a healthy oxidative balance.
- A NATURAL DOG FOOD: BLUE dry dog foods are made with the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals. BLUE contains NO chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives.
- Contains one (1) 15 lb. Bag of BLUE Life Protection Formula Puppy Dry Dog Food, Chicken and Brown Rice
- This dry puppy food is formulated to support a healthy immune system and overall growth for puppies
- This puppy food provides DHA from fish oil for healthy brain & eye development
- Supports lean muscle growth with quality protein
- Uses a balanced set of minerals to promote strong bones and strong teeth in young dogs
- Made with natural ingredients
- A large breed puppy food specially made with an optimal level of calcium for controlled bone growth
- Uses a balanced set of minerals to promote strong bones and teeth in large puppies. Caloric content: 3970 kcal/kg (394 kcal/cup)
- Uses DHA from fish oil to support healthy brain and eye development for growing dogs
- High-quality protein helps your large pup build and maintain lean muscle
- Made in the USA with global ingredients you can trust
- This dry puppy food uses DHA from fish oil to support healthy brain and eye development
- Provides your small breed dog with high quality protein for building lean muscle
- Uses a balance of minerals to promote strong bones and healthy teeth
- Uses an antioxidant blend specifically for lifelong immune support in toy and miniature dogs
- Mix up meal time with our convenient, single serve tray Science Diet Puppy Small Paws Savory Stew with Chicken and Vegetables
- One (1) 41 lb. Bag - Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach Dry Dog Food, FOCUS Sensitive Skin & Stomach Salmon & Rice Formula
- Real salmon is the #1 ingredient
- Oatmeal is an easily digestible source of carbohydrates
- Contains no corn, wheat or soy.Calorie Content (fed):3725 kcal/kg,429 kcal/cup
- Made without artificial colors or flavors
A Final Word
The rightgeeky is privately owned and is not affiliated (in any way) with pet food manufacturers. We do not accept money, gifts, samples or other incentives in exchange for special consideration in preparing our reviews.
However, we do receive a referral fee from online retailers (like Amazon) when readers click over to their website from ours. This policy helps support the operation of our blog and keeps access to all our content free to the public.
For more information, please visit our Disclaimer and Disclosure page.
Important FDA Alert
The FDA is investigating a potential link between diet and heart disease in dogs.
- Lauten SD, Nutritional Risks to Large Breed Dogs: From Weaning to the Geriatric Years, Vet Clin Small Anim 36 (2006) 1345–1359. ↩
- Richardson, Skeletal diseases of the growing dog: Nutritional influences and the role of diet, Canine Hip Dysplasia: A Symposium Held at Western Veterinary Conference, 1995 ↩
- Hazewinkel HAW. Nutrition in relation to skeletal growth deformities. J Sm Anim Practice. 1989; 30:525-630 ↩